To make WebMatrix better, I suggest you ...

Please add support for SFTP

If we are trying to pull PHP devs who work on Linux/Solaris in a corp environment support for ssh is a must. I need to be able to connect webmatrix to my remote systems. FTP is forbidden plain and simple. The fact that it is encouraged through an IDE is down right neglagent on MS part!

333 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EricEric shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PankajPankaj commented  · 

Is the SFTP extension out yet?

• MinaMina commented  · 

Lack of SSH support is only thing that stops me from using Webmatrix, sad.
        When can we have SSH support? FTP is a no go, it's unsecured.

• Anonymous commented  · 

we cant wait for long time for sftp support , please upgrade it ASAP.......

• Lars KemmannLars Kemmann commented  · 

Any word on whether this could possibly make it into version 3?

• Bill DelaneyBill Delaney commented  · 

Yes, very much a work-in-progress but going well.

• ShermanSherman commented  · 

I emailed about that extension, I am very interested in something like that. I'd like to use SCSS on my site without using the command line, so WebMatrix looked perfect. Unfortunately, I need to use SFTP to connect. No reply yet, so I hope that things are still going well...?

I will be releasing an extension for SFTP publishing in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm looking for beta testers now. If anyone on this thread is interested, please tweet me @dataframes.com, or email developer@dataframes.com

I have begun work on an extension for Webmatrix to do this. If anyone is interested in being an early beta tester, please contact me asap. I'd be very interested to share the specs, assumptions, etc. Your feedback would be valuable in guiding the beta out the door.

If you are interested in contributing, the project is open source and will be hosted on Codeplex.

• AmolAmol commented  · 

When do you think the SSH/SFTP deploy will be ready ? Waiting for it....

• Frédéric HarperFrédéric Harper commented  · 

Can't wait to have this feature. It's the only thing I'm missing to be able to use it on my host.

• Jim DubrevilleJim Dubreville commented  · 

It should be embarrassing that a product meant for web development work doesn't support the concept of secure file transfer. This product has many benefits but only if you are heavily integrated into the Microsoft stack. That is disheartening given that Microsoft has been getting better at that lately. I guess its back to sublime text.

P.S. Is there anyway I can contribute to the project and build this piece of functionality for you?

• Yishai Galatzer [WebMatrix developer]Yishai Galatzer [WebMatrix developer] commented  · 

Eric,

The top items at the time we went to implement them where indeed higher on the list. Once an item is marked started or completed it stops getting votes (since votes are limited, people typically choose to vote on what they are not getting yet).

I hope this explains this anomaly you are pointing out

Yishai

• EricEric commented  · 

Sorry one more item. Looking through the closed items your link pointed out I notice that only a small fraction have more votes then this request.

Let me reiterate one more time non Windows/Azure Server users do not use Web Deploy to migrate their php.

• EricEric commented  · 

Justin,

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry I had to poke you guys with a stick to get a response on this. I see Microsoft has put a lot of effort into webmatrix and I do see value. The main issue is that Microsoft has to capture more users outside of the specific Windows ecosystem. If I am only a php developer I probably would never consider using webmatrix. You guys need to figure out a way to snag these devs, and I guarantee this feature will be critical to help meet this goal.

If I use an editor like Netbeans, aptana, or even Expression Web I can push to a Linux, or Unix server straight from the Editor. As another commenter mentioned know one wants to break out of their workflow to fire up Filezilla or Putty to push their edits up to their boxes. They will just stop using this editor and switch to one that does.

All the best, and I can't wait to eat some crow!
        Eric

• Justin BeckwithJustin Beckwith commented  · 

Greetings Eric, and thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate you're unhappy with the state of the product. I think SublimeText is a fine text editor, if you're just looking for a text editor. We're trying to be a little bit more than that. I see that a third party offers a paid extension for SFTP with SublimeText - out of curiosity, is this what you're using to deploy your sites?

While I understand your frustration, I bristle at the idea that we don't pay as much attention to UserVoice. In WebMatrix 2, we completed 9 of the top 10 requests, among many many others. This feature simply didn't have enough votes at the time. Since we've started this site, we've completed over 150 feature requests from large to small:
        https://webmatrix.uservoice.com/forums/128313-webmatrix-suggestions/status/470931

If this request continues to gain momentum and stay at the top, we'll build it :) Until then, we offer a rich extensibilty model that may help you achieve the same goal:

http://extensions.webmatrix.com/

Thanks for the continued feedback, and hopefully at some point we'll win you back!

• EricEric commented  · 

closing in on my anniversary here. Outside of node.js support there is no compelling reason for me to use this toy editor. And, from you comment last year I realize you have no idea what my original issue was. Obviously you cannot use Web Deploy to a linux machine.

I have been using Sublime Text 2 and I would advise anyone who reads this that if you are not using Visual Studio don't bother using this editor. Thanks to everyone who voted this up but I am afraid it is a waste of time. If WebMatrix were on connect this may have been addressed but I don't think the uservoice site is taken as seriously.

• EmadEmad commented  · 

Agreed, please add this asap. I need it for Amazon EC2.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base