To make WebMatrix better, I suggest you ...

Have a ignore files setting in the Publish wizard

It would be nice to be able to easily exclude certain files when publishing, like for example web.config. But it could also be other kinds of files and folders (.git , .svn).

132 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    joeriksjoeriks shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    JohnJohn shared a merged idea: Please add a filter or some functionality to allow us to EXCLUDE folders from publishing. I keep publishing the Debug and Release folders :(  ·   · 
    Benjamin BartelsBenjamin Bartels shared a merged idea: Mark files as Deploy-Ignore  ·   · 

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan SundayDan Sunday commented  · 

I usually have misc info files that help with my web (php) development, but make no sense to publish. Some of them get modified by other tools I use, and I'd like to exclude them so that I don't have to uncheck them each time I publish my actual site files.

• rcrc commented  · 

Absolutely. Why isn't this already available? Asking for such a simple but totally required feature is sad.

• Man naMan na commented  · 

Visual Studio Web Deployment already has this feature. Why not just leverage it? All that would be left is to provide a UI for mere mortals to use. Simply allow users to exclude files by selecting or multi-selecting from the file view and right clicking "Don't Publish." Show a small badge showing that it will not be uploaded. You can always allow the user to override it during the actual publication process. This can all be done with minimal effort. You can include a stripped down version of MSBuild with WebMatrix

• scorshscorsh commented  · 

To me, the core issue is that I have files (e.g., web.config, app_data) that differ between my local server and remote server. For example, I am using Orchard. The files in my local app_data are different from what they contain on the remote app_data. I want an easy way to either a) tell WebMatrix not to copy specific files and folders or b) deploy another set of replacement files when publishing. I also tend to version control production-specific versions of files.

• Mark HeathMark Heath commented  · 

At the very least we need to be able to use shift-click to select multiple files in the dialog. I'm using mercurial and that means a lot of files to uncheck on deploy. A .ignore file for deployment would be ideal.dir

• Erik LenaertsErik Lenaerts commented  · 

working with orchard and I could use the feature to exclude the auto generated error-log files.

• 冰 commented  · 

when I use Resharper, there are too many files I have to uncheck,and .ignore file is preferred

• teycteyc commented  · 

Just a .ignore file containing lines of wild cards would make me very happy.

• joeriksjoeriks commented  · 

I know I can untick the publish checkbox for the file, but I would prefer a setting which would mean I do not need to do it manually on each publish. (Perhaps it could just remember that unticked box?)

Feedback and Knowledge Base