To make WebMatrix better, I suggest you ...

portable feature for webmatrix 2 ?

If you want to share webmatrix with neighbor. you can't be sure you can. because you need to install x before y and z before y. Can you make it portable as notepad++ and other thing. even webmatrix check pre-required software.

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    kristinakristina shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • M Ramzan M Ramzan commented  · 

Loving web matrix but please make it portable, start working with asp.net web pages or php on the go. People will try and i am sure they gonna love it. In my scenario I have to sit in front of a pc for 12 hours but i cant install anything as i have no rights. But in case of portability i will be using it all day long. I am using firefox chrome and so many apps as portable. I am sure you are aware of xampp for php. I have dot net 4 installed on my work system though. any chance i can use web matrix just like notepad++????

• kristinakristina commented  · 

@asim,Yishal Actually my thought are similar to yours but in my case I just like to share webmatrix then people can use it to write html,css,javascript. Off-course if system not have SQL server installed then they really not want to use it. same way IIS express. for my context I am talking about sharing executable with people then they are able to use webmatrix to mockup kind of work.

I thing that if webmatrix user doesn't have SQL ,IIS installed then it's should run only html for them like in notepad++.

it's seems like it's not possible to do in webmatrix. Last time when I installed windows on my computer (w7, 6-8 month ago). I am trying to install everything again to set my desktop ready to me.

Suddenly I see webmatrix in my C:/programs files/.. I tried to run it and they are work fine. I write this post that I thing that it's can be made as I see this thing work on my computer.

Thanks

• AsimAsim commented  · 

It is a good idea, but then we would need portable databases and also portable IIS. As some computers may not have these or not configured.

• Yishai Galatzer [WebMatrix developer]Yishai Galatzer [WebMatrix developer] commented  · 

The goals of WebMatrix was to get you all these dependencies installed automatically, so as soon as you start you can talk to your databases, have a webserver installed (even on XP home), have the webstack of your choice available and be able to deploy your site and databases right from the get go.

That does requires dependencies to be installed. We do recognize your point about having WebMatrix work without these dependencies, and this is something we want to look into for future versions.

In the mean time (V1 or V2 Beta) you don't have to install the plugin, just Web p Platform Installer which will then pull in all the dependencies. We will post here on this thread a link just for that. Note that there are 64bit and 32bit versions of Web platform installer so most probably for you neighbor with XP is will be the 32bit version.

• kristinakristina commented  · 

I know Webmatrix have too many dependencies. last time I got struggle when I am on Window 7 and my neighbour on Window XP. all person (neighbour) have XP so I need to install many thing on their computer to make webmatrix work. Same way If I am suggest them notepad++ then I just give them my installation and they not need to install plugin on their computer too.

• Yishai Galatzer [WebMatrix developer]Yishai Galatzer [WebMatrix developer] commented  · 

Hey Kristina,

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing WebMatrix with other users.

The portability of WebMatrix comes from installing it from www.microsoft.com/web. We install WebPlatform installer than in turn will install all the dependencies for WebMatrix.

WebMatrix has a bit more complex environment than Notepad++ as it supports a webserver and database manager and other runtimes (like ASP.NET, Php etc.). And depending on your neighbours computers it might mean different installers (for example 64 bit vs. 32 bit applications).

Please start from that link and let us know how it work. If you find any issue, we'd like to hear about them as well.

Cheers,
        Yishai

Feedback and Knowledge Base